On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 at 21:00, Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.ke...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 12:59 PM Paul Allen <pla16...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Different cultural expectations.  You're looking for information about a
>> trail and don't care what form it takes.
>>

> I suppose that you therefore consider that the principal tag for these
> objects, `tourism=information` is somewhat misleading, since it suggests
> that the informative function rather than the shape is the important
> attribute?

I'm happy with it being tourist information.  Well, sorta.  Essentially it's
just information.  But if you lived there you'd know anyway.  So it's
information
for tourists.

But it's not only for walkers and hikers.  Not when it's on a public road.
In the middle of a set of trails, it's for walkers and hikers, travelling at
walking speed, and with time to investigate.  It's also a waypoint for
motorists when it's on a public highway.

Now explain why you feel the need to differentiate a blaze from a
guidepost.  It's all just information about a route.  We could condense
everything into information=route.  In fact, we don't even need that.
Just tourism=information is sufficient because if it's in a wilderness
area next to a trail it's information about the route.  Problem
solved.  It's all just tourism=information.

--
Paul

--
Paul