On Friday 24 July 2020, Paul Allen wrote:

> I take it that means you're not in favour of my idea of rendering all
> parts of the world not covered by a tagged area with the label "Here
> there be dragons."  I think that would be cool, especially if
> somebody comes up with a good dragon icon.

You can pick one of the following two answers:

1) We already render them in a distinct color:

https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/blob/master/style/style.mss

Rendering features with a distinct symbol or pattern in addition if that
symbol does not transport any additional information is something we
typically try to avoid.

2) There are no parts of the Earth that are not covered by a mapped area
since the global coastline divides the Earth surface into land (on the
left of the coastline) and ocean (on the right of the coastline).

;-)

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/