On Tuesday 28 July 2020, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Please see https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/651244930. This is a
> pier with a platform on land that extends into the water. Carto cuts
> off the part that is on land.
>
> Is this a carto bug or should the part that is on land be tagged
> differently? (I wonder about the current behavior, because pier
> structures almost never end exactly at the waterline...)

OSM-Carto renders piers before landuse=military.  That is why you don't
see it in this case.  That is intentional.

There has been discussion to re-design the rendering of piers to be more
distinct, possibly more like a footway bridge:

https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/2652
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/3459

--
Christoph Hormann