On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 4:28 PM Paul Johnson <ba...@ursamundi.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 3:16 PM Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.ke...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> The reductio-ad-absurdum would be to argue that 42nd Street in Manhattan
>> should be `noname=yes ref=???` and participate in a route relation with
>> `network=US:NY:New York:Street ref=42`. I'm sure that would please strict
>> taxonomists, but most people would think it silly to argue that the name of
>> the road at the downtown end of Times Square isn't 'Forty-Second Street'.
>> If 42nd Street can be a name, why can't County Route 23C?
>>

> If you're trying to argue that "Sixth Street" is not a name, I'm not
> buying.  Especially when you call out that it's absurd to suggest it is.
> Or that you don't understand the difference between a name and a ref.  Or
> that you don't understand why data consumers may find conflating the two to
> be confusing or annoyingly redundant.  Surely you give our intelligence
> more credit than that, don't you?

Quite the contrary. I'm not arguing that 'Sixth Street' is not a name.  I'm
arguing that 'County Route 23' may be a name, particularly when the given
road has no other and the name is marked on blade signs, direction signs,
or other cases where a name rather than a ref would be expected.

I'm not suggesting that it's good practice to omit the ref. It is not.

I'm not suggesting that it's good practice to include a ref as an alt-name
on a street that is signed with an actual name. It is not.

I'm suggesting that sometimes the ref _is_ the name. Out in the
countryside, there's really very little difference between a road signed,
'297th Avenue' https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/263171081 and one signed
'North [County Road] 400 East' https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/13723307 -
they're both numeric references for county roads. County Route 39
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/20082802 is really no different, except
as to the form of the name. County Route 39 is what the locals call it.
It's what the post office delivers to. It's what the blade signs say.
(Unlike the nearby Mountain Avenue and Heart's Content Road, where the
blade signs and addresses have the name.)

The only real harm that I can see from the duplication is that there's a
trivial additional amount of storage, and that voice synthesis might repeat
itself, since a navigation system often reads off the name and the ref.
It's otherwise not much of a conflation problem, since search operations
that look for a name will find it, and ones that look for a ref will find
it.  Free-text search already often has to deduplicate results, for
unavoidable reasons. (New York County, within New York City, within New
York State, or New York Avenue, within Kings County, New York City, New
York State.)
--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin