On Tuesday 04 August 2020, Kevin Kenny wrote:

> A water polygon remains a water polygon whether its boundary is
> `natural=coastilne`, `waterway=river`, `natural=water` or whatever.
> Nobody is arguing over the physical extent of surface water coverage.

I am sorry that i cannot make you see my point.  That however does not
affect its validity.  Just for clarity i will repeat the core argument:

Basic conceptual separation between different fields of mapping is
absolutely essential for OpenStreetMap to function.  We therefore
cannot seriously consider mixing the mapping of physical extent of
surface water cover on this planet (predominantly done with ways tagged
natural=coastline) with culturally defined elements of the geography
(that is using the same tag on ways to represent something not defined
by physical geography criteria).

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/