On 28/8/20 8:05 am, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:

On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 at 05:31, Richard Welty <rwe...@averillpark.net <mailto:rwe...@averillpark.net>> wrote:

    again in the US, state and county fairgrounds are permanent facilities
    which function as event space when the fair is not actually going on.
    the midway is usually temporary, but the buildings for, say,
    agricultural exhibits are permanent, as is the race track (at many
    fairs), which might be for horses or cars.

As Phil said for the UK, in Australia they are Showgrounds, with just about every country town having their own.

As per your description, the show is usually only on for one weekend a year, but there are permanent buildings & facilities on site, & the area isĀ  frequently used as a caravan / tourist park for the rest of the year.

In Australia:

"The Show" (where ever it is) as Graeme says, is once a year for a week or two. However other events are also held at the same venue.

For example via a quick web search, the Mt Isa Show 1 week per year in June, Mt Isa Roedo 1 week per year in August, Mt Isa Motor Show and Swap Meet 1 day per year in August and there are others.

Presently in OSM as a recreation ground as Way: Buchannan Park Racecourse 455194137. I would assume racing takes place here as well as the above 'shows'.

The few I've just checked are currently tagged with a mixture of either leisure=park or landuse=recreation_ground. Personally, of the two options, I'd prefer rec. ground, which I notice a few of your samples were also tagged as.

Thanks

Graeme