On 9/3/2020 11:51 PM, Andrew Harvey wrote:
I've created a proposal to formalise shelter_type=rock_shelter, while
currently in-use, there is disagreement within the community on if
this tag should be used and features are commonly mis-tagged.

So I'm hoping with this proposal and voting we can come to some
consensus around it's use.

I'll leave it open for two weeks for comments then move to voting.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Tag:shelter_type%3Drock_shelter

Thanks for your work on this Andrew.

I agree that a shallow rock overhang that can be used for ad hoc shelter
is not the same as a cave. But I'm strongly in favor of
discouraging/deprecating shelter_type=rock_shelter.

I'm a bit strident about this because I've been personally "betrayed"
using an OSM-derived hiking map, expecting to arrive at a shelter in
poor weather and finding nothing. Back in civilization, I examined the
node and discovered the shelter_type=rock_shelter subtag, but the map in
question didn't render it any differently. Revisiting the site in fair
weather, I found a tiny crack under a ledge that *might* have kept a
child dry. It was very satisfying to delete that node.

Obviously the map rendering can be improved, but it's against the
general anti-troll-tagging practices to have a subtag that undoes the
essential properties of the main tag. Because of the ambiguity as to
what constitutes a viable rock shelter, I think
shelter_type=rock_shelter falls into this category.

I'd suggest natural=rock_shelter as a replacement tag.

(For that matter, I think shelter_type=sun_shelter is a troll tag as
well. I'd suggest man_made=sun_shade.)

Jason

PS - I'll be hiking in two weeks so feel free to vote in my name by proxy!