On Mon, 28 Sep 2020 at 06:55, Michael Patrick <geodes...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Not pertinent.  The general policy is tags use British English.
>

> Tom McArthur in the *Oxford Guide to World English*, British English
> shares "all the ambiguities and tensions in the word 'British' and as a
> result can be used and interpreted in two ways, more broadly or more
> narrowly, within a range of blurring and ambiguity"

You are now clutching at straws.

> Perhaps you mean one of the many versions of 'Standard' English:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_English ?

No, I mean the various wiki pages stating that OSM uses British English
where possible.  Only those clutching at straws would interpret that as
meaning non-dialectal British English.

Despite the large difference in area and population, there is far more
> variation between UK Englishes than within the USA ( and probably Canada
> also ).

And there are also commonalities within all the varieties of British
English.
Commonalities in British English which differ from the varieties used
in other countries.  You've now clutched at an entire haystack.

> Nor is there any requirement to use any number of linguistic tools to
> determine
> prevalence and alignment of meanings, but since OSM is an international
> project,
> my practice is to make it as easy as possible for non-native English users.

I'm impressed.  You've taken all those straws you clutched at, fashioned
a straw gun and shot yourself in the foot with it.

If we tag things using British English then non-native speakers need only
look up what the word(s) mean in British English.  If we tag things using
your scheme they must look up what the word(s) mean in all varieties
of English then try to ascertain which one was chosen based on
linguistic prevalence or some other unspecified criteria.  This,
according to you, will make it easier for them.

--
Paul