I agree that splitting way and having short section as footway is also
correct tagging and
making data processing easier for router.

Normally splitting is not needed but yes, for uncommon/strange
situations the part of the way that is actually crossing the way can be
tagged with the needed access tags.

It not only makes it easier, brouter does currently does not support
evaluating access on a node in the context of the incoming and outgoing
way. I think that holds for other routers using openstreetmap data.

Though harder for other data consumers, for example detecting
of places where bicycle crossing should be created would be
significantly harder.

Good to think about data consumers!

The largest consumers of this data by far are routers. I do not see any
time soon and likely never other use as the majority of crossing is
still not mapped with highway=crossing/crossing=* and even the crossing
mapped such very few have bicycle=*

So make the life of routers hard/impossible while optimizing for some
future, imaginary data use?

But many highway=crossing bicycle=no exists and OSM Wiki should
document that also this
tagging scheme is used and what is its meaning as used by mappers.

Yes, it exists (although marginally) but by documenting it is implicitly
recommended and in this case it was explicitly recommended.

Or ... will somebody start documenting that routing a pedestrian/bicycle
route over a way that is not accessible is a good idea? (60.000
problems, see http://osmose.openstreetmap.fr/en/errors/?item=3240)