The statement I disagree with is that "We shouldn’t be in a situation where
there is no approved way to map a mapable feature just because the
community doesn’t agree completely on how to map it."

Nobody needs approval to map anything in OSM, so approval only really
matters when there is a conflict, and I agree that conflicts are better
resolved by discussion and consensus (with confirmation by the yes/no vote)
than by voting between competing options.

If a stalled discussion means that multiple tags coexist, that's ok by me -
clearly the stakes weren't high enough in that case for compromise to
achieve coherence to be valued over the "right" tag...