From: Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenb...@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2020 1:30 AM
To: Tag discussion, strategy and related tools <tagging@openstreetmap.org>
Subject: Re: [Tagging] Deprecate water=pond?

Ok, it looks like enough people feel that a very small artificial water body,
like a decorative pond in a residential garden, shouldn't be tagged as
water=reservoir or water=basin, so we need a replacement.

I can see the logic behind that, if a reservoir is thought to be larger and
must have a dam on one side, and a basin is artificially graded. A small koi
pond or decorative pool isn't exactly the same.

The current problem with water=pond is that many are completely natural
features, but almost all other values of water=* are clearly natural (or
semi-natural), or clearly artificial, so water=pond is losing this information
which otherwise should be conveyed by the key water=*. Since it is unlikely
that we could check 1 million water=pond features quickly, it's not reasonable
to redefine the meaning of this tag, but we can create a new tag or several
replacement tags which are more specific, and encourage use of those instead.

But we need to have a clear description which will translate into other
languages and cultures. For example, in Papua Indonesia, most Trans-New Guinea
languages use 1 word for all types of "water", including rivers, streams,
lakes, and the sea, so they won't see a difference between a "lake" and a
"pond" unless you clearly describe it.

There are already several other more specific tags for small artificial water
bodies, in use:
(https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/?key=water#values)
- water=reflecting_pool - "A reflecting pool: a water feature found in gardens,
parks, and at memorial sites. It usually consists of a shallow pool of water,
undisturbed by fountain jets, for a calm reflective surface."
- water=moat - A deep, wide defensive ditch, normally filled with water,
surrounding a fortified habitation.
- water=wastewater - A clarifier/settling basin of a wastewater treatment plant.
- water=fountain
- water=fishpond

And as mentioned before, there are water=reservoir (A
reservoir<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reservoir> or an artificial lake is
used to store water. ) and water=basin (An area of land artificially graded to
hold water.)

So perhaps we could create a new tag water=natural_pond for small, natural or
semi-natural lakes which are currently tagged as water=pond, and
water=artificial_pond or water=man_made_pond for the majority of water=pond
features which are clearly not natural, such as ponds in gardens.

-- Joseph Eisenberg