On 1/12/20 11:06 am, Casper Van Battum wrote:
I believe access=no would apply for this specific situation, in the sense that the organization mentioned doesn't want people walking on the trails. I'm guessing it's either protected land or private property these trails are on. Since the organization mentioned they didn't want to put up "no access" signs, it would be appropriate to map the paths as such.

However I'm with you on that this brings us no closer to a general solution for tagging animal paths, that applies even beyond this specific situation.

The big question is: what distinguishes an animal path from a human path? Animals use human paths, and in numerous cases humans use animal paths. It would be hard to define it.

Animals come in different sizes.

A pad made by wild horses have sufficient height and width that most hikers could use them, this they can get muddy or steep in certain places.

A pad made by wombats can go under plants that would have humans crawling on their stomachs not just on their hands and knees.

We generally follow the guidelines to tag highways according to their usage (see tracks vs roads for example). Currently highway=path  is defined as "generic path, multi-usage or unspecified usage" and animal paths do already fit that description. We could define animal paths as "generic path, used mainly by animals" but I suppose it should be a specific kind of path (something along the lines of highway=path+animal=yes) rather than a new type of highway. But again, is this enough of a distinction to merit its own tagging scheme?

I would not encourage the use of the tag 'animal' as it is a real mess! See taginfo for the variety of values that have no coordination. Example animal=wellness ... for which animals and then the problem of tagging that... terrible.

Cheers, Casper