Re: "natural=water' wins.  I can see that there's water there"

You still have to distinguish marine water (outside of the
natural=coastline) from inland waters, and distinguishing rivers from lakes
is very important for proper rendering of many maps.

Also, many areas of natural=water actually don't have any water for much of
the year, if they are also intermittent=yes - such as seasonal lakes in
semi-arid areas.

I personally am not as concerned about water=reservoir for artificial
lakes, but I am concerned that water=river is often forgotten when mapping
areas of river water, where previously waterway=riverbank was clearly
distinguished from lakes.

Many map styles distinguish rivers and streams from lakes, since it is
often helpful to use a darker color for narrow linear features.

-- Joseph Eisenberg