On 20/12/20 9:24 am, Brian M. Sperlongano wrote:
I've seen these in the US also, but I never knew what they were called.  I understand that the purpose of them is simply to make noise when a car drives over them, as they don't slow you down in any appreciable way like a speed bump/hump.

We already have a tag for "a traffic calming device that makes noise when a car drives over it", which is a rumble strip (see: traffic_calming=rumble_strip).  Note, I am talking about the kind that go all the way across the road, and not the kind in the shoulder of the road that make noise when you veer out of your lane.

I usually think of rumble strips as grooves in the road, but it strikes me that these micro-speed-bump things are essentially the same thing -- they make noise when a car goes over it to alert the driver of something.

I'm uncomfortable with hillock/hillocky as a value. Cursory searches seem to indicate that this isn't a term in use, in any flavor of English.

Rumble strips I am familiar with. They not only cause a noise but a vibration too, felt by the people inside the vehicle but not a large vehicle deflection.

Are the simply a new kind of rumble strip? So traffic_calming=rumble_strip, rumble_strip:structure=circle, rumble_strip:orientation=transverse

Alternatively perhaps a better name would be rumble circles?

    sent from a phone

    <mailto:j...@wizmail.org>> wrote:

    > traffic_calming=multi_bump  ?

    or
    traffic_calming=mini_bumps ?

    when they come up with something smaller that could still be
    micro_bumps ;-)

    Cheers Martin