Dec 21, 2020, 01:43 by graemefi...@gmail.com:

> On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 at 10:37, Martin Koppenhoefer <> dieterdre...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
>

>> imagine you were mapping something, and it is legal in the place where you
>> are, but illegal in Britain, so you can not do it. Or you are seeing things
>> in country A and when you’re in country B you add them to OpenStreetMap
>> (from memory), which is legal in country B but not in country A. You might
>> be able to do it and still be arrested when going back to country A.
>>
>>  People also said in the past we should adhere to European law because
>> otherwise our dataset can not be used in the EU (e.g. with respect to
>> copyright and fair use). I am not sure if after the Brexit this will still
>> be the OpenStreetMap-Foundation policy, or whether they focus completely on
>> British law, but I am sure that Chinese law has not been deemed relevant by
>> past and present osmf boards.
>>

> I agree it's incredibly confusing, & a legal minefield (as well as
> potentially a real one!), but if it's an issue, why haven't the "Warnings"
> been deleted from the various military pages prior to this?

OSMF board is not spending hours on monitoring wiki pages.

I am spending hours on monitoring wiki pages and noticed it only recently,
and only in a new proposal.

Anyone may edit Wiki and many things are present there because noone
noticed what is written somewhere.

> Somebody obviously considers that they should be noted there?

I am not against noting legal restrictions in some countries that may be
dangerous for some mappers. But I am against implying that it is
against OSM rules to map in China or map military bases in Russia/Israel/etc
or that it is unwanted.