On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 at 18:51, Brian M. Sperlongano <zelonew...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> I think you need to expand a little on how to "conflate" a pool with a
>> river.  The
>> disadvantage of doing so is that the pool then cannot have a name
>> assigned.
>>

> Sorry, my words were not clear enough here.  By "conflate" I mean that the
> pool would simply be part of the river polygon.  See this example near
> Boston:
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/91082432#map=16/42.2615/-71.2764

I knew what you meant by "conflate."  Others may not.

> Note that I explicitly included the phrase "if they are named or
> significant in size" to cover the case where a stream pool has a name.  My
> intent is to craft the definition in such a way that it allows either
> scheme without preference (i.e. part of the river polygon, or a separate
> pond/lake polygon with a name).

It feels more natural to map a side pool of a wide river which has a river
polygon
by expanding the polygon.  But such a pool cannot be named.  It feels
unnatural to tack a pond onto the side of a river polygon.  But I suppose
it will work.

--
Paul