Re “ it makes a differences whether the structure results in a self-imposed
isolation or isolation created by an adversary party.”

How can a non-archeologist determine the initial purpose of an
archeological site?

For example, Machu Picchu is a very famous site in Peru which has been
extensively studied. It is fortified in a sense, being built on t he end of
a ridge, with narrow bridges that could be removed to repel attack
probably. Initial explorers thought it was a capital city, moser
scholarship suggests it was a royal retreat from the city for recreation or
a site of royal religious religious devotion.

This proposed tag would be used for much less well known sites. How should
ordinary mappers determine if a ruin is an old fort or a fortified
settlement or a an ancient prison?

-Joseph Eisenberg