Hello,

Le 29.09.22 à 18:26, martianfreeloader a écrit :
I am considering two groups of mutually exclusive proposals to settle this issue

propose, withdraw, re-propose in 24 hours, that's a bit fast.
give time for ideas to mature.

I've done some research on how the tag is used, (I'm leaving
out the twisted cases and obvious mistakes)
I classify them in 2 groups:

group 1 : those where merging the two tags would not matter:
amenity=restaurant
tourism=picnic_site
amenity=table
amenity=cinema
leisure=picnic_table
leisure=outdoor_seating
amenity=theatre
for these objects, seat and capacity are the same thing and we could debate which term is better, but let's see the other group

group 2 : those where the use of capacity adds confusion
amenity=shelter
amenity=toilets
amenity=cafe
amenity=bar
amenity=fast_food
amenity=events_venue
amenity=pub
shop!=baker (with the possibility of eating on site)
in these cases, there is often a standing capacity
and a sitting capacity and replacing seat with capacity
only degrades the information (because with a tag as
generic as capacity, there will inevitably be someone
who uses it for the other meaning (don't hope that people
'll read the wiki every time they encounter an ambiguous tag,
sometimes you don't even realise there are two meanings)
For these objects, it therefore seems relevant to me
to keep the tag seat=*
and from the moment we keep the seat tag, I don't think
it's relevant not to use it everywhere where it has
the same meaning
e.g. a bench with 2 seats should not have a different tag depending
on whether it is simply an amenity=bench or an amenity=shetler
like at a bus stop.

Regards,
Marc