Currently there are two ways to limit the vehicle types a relation tagged as `type=restriction` (turn restriction) affects. The first one enables the restriction for *all* vehicle types, but then excludes some, like:

restriction=no_left_turn
except=bicycle

The second one lists the vehicles for which the restriction should be enabled explicitly using something like

restriction:hgv=no_left_turn

Both ways seem to be useful and also represent what occurs on real street signs. For example there are some that restrict turns only for hgv vehicles and others that restrict all vehicles with an exception like bicycle.

According to this schema one *could* use both approaches in a less obvious way, i.e. use the restriction tag when the turn is only restricted for a certain vehicle type like:

// here we like to restrict only hgv
restriction=no_left_turn
except=motorcar;moped;psv;bicycle;

or use the restriction:vehicle tag when the turn is restricted for almost every vehicle type like:

// here we like to restrict everything except bicycle
restriction:motorcar=no_left_turn
restriction:moped=no_left_turn
restriction:psv=no_left_turn
restriction:hgv=no_left_turn

Quite obviously this isn't ideal and as far as I can tell this is the exact reason we have the two approaches (one for excluding vehicles and another for including them). So using the right approach depending on the situation (or better depending on what is actually stated by the traffic signs) should be encouraged.

In some very rare cases even both approaches are used simultaneously. This leads to either redundant information or, even worse, contradicting tags.

I think the wiki (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:restriction) should state that the restriction tag should not be used in combination with the restriction:vehicle tag. Is there any reason not to do this? For the except and restriction:vehicle tag maybe there should be a short note that these should be used when the restriction is valid for all but a few or only a few vehicles, respectively.