sent from a phone

> On 3 Nov 2022, at 14:39, Sarah Hoffmann via Tagging
> <tagging@openstreetmap.org> wrote:
>
> Random example: historic=manor. About 77% of objects tagged with
> historic=manor have a building=* tag, which makes perfect sense. A manor
> is a building after all. So it looks like historic=manor is more of a
> property tag to a building. But what about the 23% other manors that are
> not tagged as building? Is a historic=manor without a builing=* tag
> meant to be used as a primary key?

you said manor is an example, and I agree, but we have still to look at all
object types individually, because for a historic=castle only 58% have a
building tag, and looking closer we might eventually find that some of them
could be extended as well. A castle (defensive one, this tag is very generic
compared to manor) typically is composed of several buildings, open space,
defensive walls and more, so having a combination with building seems less
likely unless the mapper has selected the main building and ignored the others.
Similarly I could imagine a manor to be bigger than a single building, e.g.
comprising ancillary buildings, a garden or similar.

Cheers Martin