On Sun, 2023-04-09 at 19:53 +0200, Kai Michael Poppe - OpenStreetMap
wrote:
> Good evening and happy easter to those celebrating!
>
> After a ton of work and being yelled at for making too many
> changesets,
> making too many changes, making too few changes, not discussing the
> automated edit properly (?!?) and being accused of working for
> Mapillary
> or OSMand because why else would I even bother (clearly someone
> didn't
> read the initial rationale), there are now 246.7k valid new API keys
> in
> the "mapillary" key,

Thank you for your hard work, hard work doing it and hard work
explaining yourself multiple times. This has improved OSM, and I am
grateful for all the effort put into this.

> ** Proposed edit **
>
> 1)
>
> 2)
>
> 3)
>
> 4)

These all seem reasonable to me. Thank you.

> ** Note **
>
> As mentioned in [2] as well, objects that link to specific x,y,zoom
> URIs
> will not be touched. As those are mostly 360° photos where people
> wanted
> to show an exact point in the image, linking the numeric ID alone
> wouldn't satisfy the mappers that used that image in the first place.

This seems like a safe option for now, I support it, but maybe long
term there would be a way to encode that in the `mapillary` tag?

> ** Rationale **
>
> Removing dead links from the image-key sounds like a no-brainer to
> me,
> even though it might not be with the URI being unavailable
> temporarily.
> In this case, direct thumbnails are never coming back.
>
> For non-dead links (i.e. those leading to the mapillary website-
> "app")
> everything (primarily the wiki page of the image-key [3]) yells at
> me,
> that the ID should be stored in the appropriate key.

This sort of data clean isn't glamorous, but we need to do it. We need
to do it because it's the right thing to do, we need to do it to make
OSM data consumers lives easier, we need to do it as "PR" we don't want
people put off because we have "dirty" fields.

I just heard that a OSM consumer throws away every `addr:country` and
compute them because x% are invalid. We couldn't expect every consumer
to do the same cleaning.

> **
>
> PLEASE provide feedback. I hate being shouted at for trying to
> support
> the community (remember: the reason this came up was an app developer
> who couldn't use the mapillary API v4 with the old keys anymore!).
>
> Thanks a bunch!

Again, thanks for your work. This is greatly appreciated.

CJ