Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com> writes:

> sent from a phone
>
>> On 21 Jun 2023, at 15:52, Greg Troxel <g...@lexort.com> wrote:
>>
>> It is absolutely the wrong thing to say that shop=firearms means "a shop
>> that sells whatever the local law means by firearms".   This is a
>> general principle in OSM that we define something and then expect
>> mappers to use the OSM definition, not local language.
>
> I am not sure I can subscribe to this. Generally our tags are used
> when the thing meets the local expectations of “such thing”, e.g. an
> amenity=cafe or amenity=pub in England is probably different from
> places with such a tag in Germany. Or a shop=bakery in England will
> not necessarily sell the same kind of bread than one in France.

Of course it won't have the same kind of bread.  But it will still be a
shop that sells primarily things that have been baked, pastry and bread.

Suppose in some other country, bakery is a term that means a shop that
primarly sells sausages.  We wouldn't say that this should be
amenity=bakery.

I think it is

> There is a point where the differences are so big that we decide to
> introduce a new tag (or subtag), but in a case like the arms shop I
> believe the most likely answer for OpenStreetMap is actually "a shop
> that sells whatever the local law means by firearms",

If we pivot to shop=gun, then we have a broader category, and we don't
need to care about law.

With your definition, a shop in my state that sells rifles only would
not be shop=firearms because under local law "firearm" means "handgun".

Note that it's odd to worry about law, and it's wrong to let that drive
tagging which should be independent of government.  Normally shop=foo
defines a concept and it applies whether or not there are any laws about
foos.

> just like a
> highway=motorway is “a highway that the local law means by motorway”.

I don't think that's true at all.  highway=motorway is a road that

  has multiple lanes
  is limited access
  has not at-grade intersections

with the usual "tiny violation doesn't disqualify" caveats.

The word "motorway" is just not used in the US.  Not by people, not in
law, that I've ever seen.   The formal terms are "limited access
highway", which is close but does not require multiple travel lanes.
And then there is "Interstate highway" which is a route signing thing,
which has associated construction standards.  But something can be an
Interstate without meeting them, very very rarely (I hear this about
Alaska).

The whole point of the map is to be used, and for that to be sane, we
need consistent semantics across all countries.   That means not
aligning to local words exactly, and certainly not to legal definitions,
which are arbitrary and sometimes bizarre.