Taginfo has the "mission" of aggregating all information about OSM tag usage
and present it to the users. As a part of this, taginfo has parsed the JOSM
style config files for a long time to present infos like this:
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/highway#josm .

I always wanted to extend this to other editors and other uses of OSM tags,
in maps, routers, etc. But I have realized over time that that approach
doesn't scale. I can't parse everybodies config file (or look at the source
code of all these projects) to see which tags are used how. And I can't
keep up with the changes.

So I changed the approach: Instead of taginfo having to understand all the
different formats, I created one simple format in which all projects can
report to taginfo which tags they are using. The projects generate either
automatically or manually (or both) a .json file that taginfo pulls in
daily and integrates into its database.

I have more or less finished this feature now. You can try it out at our
beta test site: http://mercator.openstreetmap.de/projects
http://mercator.openstreetmap.de/taginfo/projects
Or look at any key, tag, or relation page and click on the "Projects" tab.

Docs for the file format are at http://wiki.osm.org/Taginfo/Projects .

Some early adopters whom I talked to have already provided project files.

If there aren't any problems, I'll probably launch this on the main site in the
next days.

DO NOT install the new taginfo software on your servers yet, it will break,
because the main server doesn't have the taginfo-projects.db file yet, so
your server can't download it. If you want to play with the software, you
have to create the db yourself.

As always: Feedback welcome.

Jochen
--