Hi taginfo-dev list!

I am working on some changes for taginfo that will affect everybody who
creates their own databases. This is not yet integrated into the master
branch, but I wanted to give you a heads-up to make sure we are fixing
any problems before this is merged.

I have moved out the C++ parts of taginfo from the main repository at
https://github.com/taginfo/taginfo into their own repository at
https://github.com/taginfo/taginfo-tools . They use a more modern build
environment using CMake and even have some tests.

The code now requires C++14. (I will probably switch this to C++17 at
some point.) All names of binaries have changed, they all are named
"taginfo-SOMETHING" now so you can install them somewhere in the path
and there shouldn't be any conflicts with other tools.

The stats now use hash maps from the Google Abseil library (included
as a git submodule) which speeds up the tagstats (now taginfo-stats)
program by one third!

So far I have not changed any functionality between the old and new
versions of the code, so you should be able to use both versions
interchangeably.

At the moment I encourage everybody to check out the new repository and
make sure everything builds correctly for them and the tests run
through. If there are any problems, ask here or open issues on Github.

If there are no problems (or once we have fixed them), the plan is to
remove the `tagstats` folder in the old repository and use the stuff
from the new repository instead. At that time I will also update the
documentation accordingly.

Jochen
--
Jochen Topf  joc...@remote.org  https://www.jochentopf.com/  +49-351-31778688