I've long been against the idea of SQL in *SP pages for anything beyond a
one person hackup. This view was coloured by the fact I've always worked
in the programming environment and not the database environment. To me a
database is merely something that persists my data.

At the same time, I believe an OO interface to be far nicer than SQL, so I
try to hide my SQL behind standard 'Store' 'Table' objects. This makes me
far more productive and my code more readable, but makes optimising the
database interaction a real pain.

[Another thing this approach does is tend to make the Java OO layer the
data-store and not the database. While this is exactly what I want,n it's
not usually what a legacy place will want. They need the database to be
the data-storage.]

I've recently been working with database programmers a lot. They have a
data-centric, like to do SQL, form of programming and so being able to
something like DB Tags would appeal to them. In fact I'm surprised they
didn't choose it.

Taking that view, I could almost imagine JSP's being seen as
stored-procedures and then having a library of HTML-ing methods. Similar
to ECS. In fact, that would be a very interesting design to try, and one I
would seriously consider suggesting to DB programmers. JSP, DBTags, ECS.
Just as an experiment mind you.

Anyway, I think my summary is that something like DBTags does seem a very
bad choice from an OO/MVC viewpoint. But a DB viewpoint will probably like
them, and I'm sure it makes a lot of sense to companies porting old
websites across. Plus, a lot of companies are perfectly happy to say "We
will not change from an SQL database to an OO database etc". Hell, enough
are happy to say "We're sticking with Oracle", which seems less sensible.

Just some thoughts..

Bay