    Shawn> Achim,
    Shawn> It looks like the problem may just be caused by two conflicting versions
    Shawn> of JAXP:

    >> java.lang.ClassCastException:
    >> org.apache.crimson.jaxp.DocumentBuilderFactoryImpl

    Shawn> Since your stack trace doesn't run through any code in the JSTL RI, my
    Shawn> guess is that this is just a minor configuration issue with your
    Shawn> container.

I saw the same thing.  I tried to run it on Tomcat 4.0.2b1, essentially OOTB.
This is apparently an issue with the continuing battle between "crimson.jar"
and "xerces.jar".  I think, in 4.0, Jasper was using crimson, and now it's
using xerces.  The examples are using crimson, so these examples won't work
OOTB with Tomcat 4.0.2b1.  I don't know what the correct solution is, but I
guess one of them has to be removed and changed to the other.