The final version of JSTL will most likely be substantially more lenient
with respect to values that don't exist.  Unfortunately, there's not much
I can advise other than, "Wait for the upcoming version!"  :-)  (Such is
the nature of early-access releases.)

--
Shawn Bayern
Author, "JSP Standard Tag Library"  http://www.jstlbook.com