Hi Chris,

The question is somewhat general.  For instance, depending on your needs,
you can write a tag that trims its BodyContent (using String.trim()) and
simply contain other tags within it.  So that:

  <foo:trim>

     foo

  </foo:trim>

would produce equivalent output to

  <foo:trim>foo</foo:trim>

If you're suggesting, by contrast, that a particular taglib in Jakarta
Taglibs produces unwanted whitespce, let us know, and the tag libraries
could be patched to avoid this, or (as in the case of the Input taglib) to
take a flag that switches behavior between "pretty printing" and avoidance
of unnecessary whitespace.

To help you further, I think we'd need more information about exactly what
problem you're experiencing.

--
Shawn Bayern
Author, "JSP Standard Tag Library"  http://www.jstlbook.com