reading over my last paragraph, it's not clear what I meant, so here's a
second attempt. The current 3-19 nightly of XPathUtil.valueOf is below:

    public String valueOf(Node n, String xpath) throws SAXPathException
{
        staticInit();
        XPath xp = new XPath(xpath);
        return xp.valueOf(getLocalContext(n));
    }

when it calls return, it the result of getLocalContext(node) to
XPath.valueOf(). when I output that result, I get zero length string.
the source for getLocalContext(node) is below.

    private Context getLocalContext(Node n) {
        // set up instance-specific contexts
        VariableContext vc = new JstlVariableContext();
        ContextSupport cs = new ContextSupport(nc, fc, vc, dn);
        Context c = new Context(cs);
        List l = new ArrayList(1);
        l.add(n);
        c.setNodeSet(l);
        return c;
    }

an instance of JstlVariableContext is passed to the constructor of
ContextSupport, but I don't see where
JstlVariableContext.getVariableValue() is called. Within
getLocalContext, should it check to make sure context was created
correctly when it does Context c = new Context(cs)?

when I output the result of the hsr.getHeader(localName), it never
reaches that chunk of code in getVariableValue().

            else if (namespace.equals(HEADER_NS_URL)) {
                HttpServletRequest hsr =
                    (HttpServletRequest) pageContext.getRequest();
                return hsr.getHeader(localName);

thanks.

peter lin

peter lin