On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, Shawn Bayern wrote:

> The evaluator keeps a static cache of values, so literally the only
> benefit of pooling our interpreter instances would be to save the
> instantiation itself, which should take about ten low-level instructions
> on a modern JIT.  (That is, the evaluator has an empty constructor, and
> all its work is done on the stack -- with the aid of a few static caches.)

By the way, this implies that a SINGLE instance, instead of a pool, would
work just as well too.  (The existing EEM code is from a time when this
wasn't the case.)  Once we're sure of the final EL interface, I'll plan on
using just one instance.  But again, the actual performance difference on
an effective JIT should be negligible.

--
Shawn Bayern
Author, "JSP Standard Tag Library"  http://www.jstlbook.com