On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Yuri Peter Kazakov wrote:

> Hello,
>
> how can I use JS functions in EL, for example:
>
> <c:if test="${ a.indexOf( b ) < 0 }">
>
> doesn't work.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Regards,
> Yuri.

You can't.  The JSTL expression language is really just for simple
references to request parameters, attributes, and other commonly accessed
data.  For more complex operations -- e.g., on Strings and Collections --
I suggest using custom tag libraries.  Having said that, the EL may grow
slightly to include some common functionality, either for JSTL 1.0 or JSP
1.3.  These features are still being debated.

--
Shawn Bayern
Author, "JSP Standard Tag Library"  http://www.jstlbook.com