You'd be better off asking this on the "struts-user" list.

In my opinion, assuming you've exhausted any way of fulfilling your needs by
configuring the existing tag, I would recommend you just subclass the existing tag
class and create a separate tag library from that tag.  Using either strategy, if you
ever want to upgrade your version of Struts, you'll have to pay very close attention
to any changes related to your changes, but at least this strategy will make the new
version easier to integrate.