On Mon, 20 Jan 2003, Jerome Jacobsen wrote:

> I was looking at the JSTL code and noticed that the Tags attributes
> which accept EL are of type String.  Then the Tag handler does the EL
> evaluation. However with JSP 2.0 wouldn't the attribute be the actual
> Object expected (post evaluation)?  In that case is the JSTL 1.0
> implementation not JSP 2.0 forward compatible?  Perhaps this isn't an
> issue as the JSP 2.0 container would include a JSTL implementation?

In JSTL 1.1 and JSP 2.0, the 'RT' (rtexprvalue) tag libraries will be
used, thus allowing the container to process expressions.

JSP 2.0 won't use expressions by default in applications that have a
deployment descriptor created according to the JSP 1.2 standard's
specifications.  Thus, existing applications continue to work unmodified.
New applications will use the JSTL 1.1 URIs to identify JSTL tag
libraries.

A JSP 2.0 container need not include a JSTL implementation, but it must
include an EL interpreter.

Shawn