On 21 Mar 2003, Dave Newton wrote:

> I guess my curiosity just comes from the apparent abandonment of the
> <c:out.../> tag in favor of the obviously simpler EL expressions that
> look like previously-existing solutions is all.
>
> I'm not complaining; it's better from the brevity-standpoint, it's
> just interesting that it moves away from what I thought was one of the
> main points of JSP which was to provide an X/HTML-looking way of
> accessing things put into scope by the back end of things.

I see what you're saying, but "XML-looking" is vague and not particularly
a target.  The advantage of ${foo} to <%= foo %> is that it can be used in
the middle of otherwise well-formed XML documents; JSP continues to
provide an XML syntax.  In fact, ${foo} is more compatible with XML than
<c:out value="${foo}" /> in cases where you want to use the variable in
another tag.

--
Shawn Bayern
"JSTL in Action"   http://www.manning.com/bayern