From: James CE Johnson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, June 02, 2003 11:33 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Going nuts with JSTL tag lib installation

I'm not Karsten but...

Some time ago I tried to use standard-examples.war with JBoss 3.0.6 (which
uses Jetty) and got very similar (or maybe identical, its been a while)
errors. I posted (here I think) and got some info but never a "how to make
it work" :-(

I believe I saw in jetty in the stack trace in Karsten's original post.
Maybe Jetty just doesn't play nice with JSTL? That would be terribly
odd...

> [...]
>> INFO: Successfully created an instance of
>> 'javax.servlet.jsp.jstl.core.Config'.
>>
>>  From this, you can see that the sample class can be
>> loaded and
>> instantiated, so the jstl.jar (and standard.jar) got
>> loaded, though
>> these jars don't appear in the system property
>> "java.class.path".
>>
>> When commenting out the taglib tag in the jsp, the
>> following log file is
>> generated:
>>
>> 01.06.2003 18:35:07
>> de.bluedemons.servlet.MainServletFC <init>
>> INFO: Front controller instance created!
>> 01.06.2003 18:35:07
>> de.bluedemons.servlet.MainServletFC <init>
>> INFO: Class path is
>>
> 'c:\dev\jdk1.4\lib\tools.jar;c:\dev\jakarta-tomcat\bin\bootstrap.jar'.
>> 01.06.2003 18:35:07
>> de.bluedemons.servlet.MainServletFC <init>
>> INFO: Successfully created an instance of
>> 'javax.servlet.jsp.jstl.core.Config'.
>> 01.06.2003 18:35:44
>> de.bluedemons.servlet.MainServletFC doGet
>> INFO: A new request has arrived!
>> .
>> .
>> .
>>
>> This is exactly the same as above, just the extra
>> entry tells, that the
>> process did not throw an exception.
>>
>> When forwarding the next request to a JSP page
>> referencing the tablib,
>> the error from before occurs. So there must be some
>> problem for Tomcat
>> finding the TLD. The strange thing is that the JSTL
>> sample class can be
>> found, and the c.tld library descriptor is inside.
>>
>> I have no idea what else to try.
>>
>> Out-of-Luck-Karsten
>>

>> Michael Duffy wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Karsten:
>> >
>> > I had this problem, too.  Shawn Bayern explained
>> it
>> > perfectly in a note that's in the archive.  Since
>> it's
>> > down right now, I'll do my best.
>> >
>> > If you look in the standard.jar, you'll see that
>> it
>> > has the .tlds in its META-INF directory.  The
>> > classloader will find them in the jar, since you
>> have
>> > it in your classpath.  There's no need to copy
>> .tld
>> > files anywhere.
>> >
>> > If you look inside any of the .tlds, you'll see a
>> > <uri> tag underneath <taglib> with
>> > "http://java.sun.com/jstl/core"; as its value.
>> This is
>> > the string that you should have in your JSPs:
>> >
>> > <%@ taglib uri="http://java.sun.com/jstl/core";
>> > prefix="c" %>
>> >
>> > I never put <taglib> in my web.xml file, in spite
>> of
>> > what the books all say.  They're already available
>> in
>> > the standard.jar.
>> >
>> > When I set things up this way Tomcat has no
>> problem
>> > finding the standard tag libraries.  See if it

org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.jspError(DefaultErrorHandler.
java:105)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.dispatch(ErrorDispatcher.java:430
)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.jspError(ErrorDispatcher.java:154
)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.TagLibraryInfoImpl.(TagLibraryInfoImpl.java:159)

> org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parseTaglibDirective(Parser.java:354)

> org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parseDirective(Parser.java:381)

> org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parseElements(Parser.java:795)

> org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parse(Parser.java:122)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.ParserController.parse(ParserController.java:199)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.ParserController.parse(ParserController.java:153)

> org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateJava(Compiler.java:227)

> org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:369)

org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java:4
73)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:1
90)

> org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:295)

> org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:241)

FilterChain.java:247)

ain.java:193)

va:256)

eNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)

> org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)

va:191)

)

eNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)

java:171)

eNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)

org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:172
)

eNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)

> org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)

:174)

eNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)

> org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)

> org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:223)

> org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:594)

ction(Http11Protocol.java:392)

> org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:565)

a:619)