Silly?  I disagree.

Filters are about more than removing whitespace.

I want the whitespace when I'm developing, because
readability and understanding is very important to me.

When I use a filter, I can keep the whitespace when I
develop and remove it when it really matters - when
sending a minimal byte response to a client.  At all
other times I want to keep it around.  All this
thrashing to remove it seems sillier to me than
filters.

The GZip compression filter that I wrote is 119 lines
of code, including explicit imports for each class,
comments, whitespace, and putting curly braces on
their own line.  Once I've written it, I can reuse it
all over the place by simply adding it to my web.xml.
What's the big deal?

--- Neil Zanella <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Despite the solutions presented here I think JSPs
> should do stuff
> like PHP does it (much easier than having to install
> filters, seems
> kind of silly to install a filter just to remove
> whitespace). Right
> now I am doing the following, which is not great
> either:

>   --%><c:out value="foo1" /><%--
>   --%><c:out value="bar1" /><%--
>   --%><c:out value="foo2" /><%--
>   --%><c:out value="bar2" />
>
> But at least it's a little cleaner than cramming all
> tags together. (?)
>
> Regards,
>
> Neil
>
> On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Michael Duffy wrote:
>

> > Hi Eric,
> >
> > Thanks for the links to these.  I wasn't aware of
> > either.
> >
> > Marty Hall's "More Servlets and JSPs" has a nice
> > chapter on filters.  I went through that to get
> the
> > source that I'm running.  It was a fine learning
> > experience for me.
> >
> > But perhaps the stuff you're citing is more
> > bulletproof.  Thanks for the links. - MOD
> >

> > --- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > I was going to program some Servlet filters when
> > > saw the following:
> > > http://www.servletsuite.com/servlets/trimflt.htm
> > > http://www.servletsuite.com/servlets/gzipflt.htm
> > >
> > > This might do all you ever wished for :-)
> > >
> > > I'll install it here and keep you posted...
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > Eric

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> with