Is your browser configured to accept cookies? If not, URL rewriting will be used
for session management. As for actually having a session, by default any JSP
page will create one. If you don't want it to, you need to use the page directive:

<%@ page session="false" %>

Also, by using <c:url> with a relative URL, you're implicitly requesting URL
rewriting. The fact that the <c:out> version still rewrites the URL doesn't make
any sense, it doesn't do that. Try shutting down Tomcat, removing everything in
$CATALINA_HOME/work/Standalone/localhost, and then restarting.

Quoting Michael Duffy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hi Kris,
>
> I forced a refresh of the page and still didn't get
> the background image to come down.
>
> The <c:out> suggestion didn't do it, either.  I still
> see the jsession ID in the URL.
>
> I'm missing something important here.  I'll have to
> keep digging.  Thanks - MOD
>

> --- Michael Duffy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Kris,
> >
> > I don't know - I didn't try hitting the page again.
> > I'll give it a try and see.
> >
> > I was surprised to see it, because I don't have any
> > session scope variables in the page.  I don't think
> > should have a session open.
> >
> > I'm using Tomcat 4.1.24 as the server.
> >
> > I'll try your <c:out> suggestion and see if that
> > helps.  Thanks very much. - MOD
> >

> > --- Kris Schneider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > The next time you hit the page it works though,
> > > right? If you're tracking
> > > sessions via cookies, subsequent responses won't
> > > need to do URL rewriting. It
> > > actually looks like it's a server bug. Hitting
> > >
> > > http://www.sun.com/im/sun_logo.gif;jsessionid=foo
> > >
> > > works just fine (SunONE WebServer 6.0), whereas
> > > hitting
> > >

> http://www.apache.org/images/asf_logo_wide.gif;jsessionid=foo
> > >
> > > results in a 404 (Apache/2.0.48-dev (Unix)). Same
> > > here ;-) (Microsoft-IIS/6.0)
> > >

> http://www.microsoft.com/homepage/gif/bnr-microsoft.gif;jsessionid=foo
> > >
> > > You might try something like:

> value="${pageContext.request.contextPath}/images/gray.jpg"/>">

> > > Shawn
> > > snag.

> > > tag
> > Web

> > > value='/images/gray.jpg'/>">

> > > background is
> > > HTML, I

background="/mock-trading-partner/images/gray.jpg;jsessionid=9B0DA55495E2CD9BF40AAD98A4E115D8">

D.O.Tech       <http://www.dotech.com/>