You might find this painful by the way. I've done things the "pure JSP"
way [and like it], but still find myself having to write beans to contain
data.

I'm unsure why that was. Need to check if JSTL-EL will work with Maps or
not. Xephyrus' collections taglib is useful if you try to go no-beans.

Apart from that, a pure JSP site is a joy to create and very fast. I still
advise doing things from an MVC point of view. The Model is your map/beans
structure, the View are lots of jsp pages which submit to your Controllers
which are other jsp pages that DO NOT display content to the user, they
merely do things to the structure and redirect.

I recommend a naming convention of _addFoo.jsp and add_foo.jsp, where the
first is the controller that does the adding and the latter is the html
form the user enters the foo data into.

By being pure JSP, you can take advantage of a rapid feedback cycle as you
can edit the JSP live on the development server. No deploys, restarts,
just a magical old system we 90's coders like to call the browser refresh.

Lastly, remember to use your Request scope majority of the time and not
your Session scope. That's a maxim that most JSP I've seen could do with
more adherence to.

Hen