I wanted to use XPath 2.0's upper-case(BookTitle) function instead of it's
equivalent in XPath 1.0 :

translate(BookTitle,'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ','abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz')
function

  When I transformed the xml with xslt like this it didn't work when I used the
function: upper-case, but it worked when I used the function: translate :
                     <x:transform doc="${xml}" xslt="${xsl}">
                        <x:param name="book_category" value="${param.r}" />
                    </x:transform>

  I was reading in a few forum posts (dating back to 2002, 2005) that Xalan
does not support XPath2.0 because XPath2.0 is not in it's
Official W3C Recommendation state yet.

  Will the implemenation and support for XPath2.0 begin after XPath2.0 is
officially released or is it done in parallel?