I don't know if it's valid, but the current trunk of the log taglib
uses commons-logging [so it can sit on top of log4j, jdk logging etc].
It seemed like a good idea N years ago [best intentions and all], but
it can be rolled back if it's problematic.

I'm quite happy to mentor someone if they want to work on the log taglib. :)

Hen