Please provide *adequate relevant information* and a relevant title
for this thread, it will benefit you in terms of getting a proper
response in the shortest amount of time and others on the mailing list
to understand your problem and solve it and will also be meaningful
for future viewers of this thread.

Please don't address it directly to me or send me questions off-line,
if I'm unavailable you'll be wasting time waiting for a response.

Please read the guidelines http://jakarta.apache.org/site/mail.html
before posting.

Tomcat version ???
JSTL version ???
web.xml ???

On Tomcat 5.5 , JSTL 1.1 web.xml version 2.4 the following works.
But it won't work in a web.xml using version 2.2

<%@ page contentType="text/html;charset=UTF-8" language="java" %>
<%@ taglib prefix="c" uri="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core"; %>

<jsp:useBean id="myMap" type="java.util.Map" class="java.util.HashMap"
scope="session"/>

<c:set var="keyVar" value="planet"/>
<c:set var="valueVar" value="Earth"/>
<c:set target="${myMap}" property="${keyVar}" value="${valueVar}"/>

${myMap[keyVar]}

I mentioned before that DataGrid uses web.xml of version 2.2

but JSTL 1.1 Expression Language requires a web.xml of version 2.4

So you would need to compromise somewhere

1)  (from my understanding), you would need to probably downgrade to
the JSTL to  JSTL 1.0 or lower , research on which version of JSTL is
compliant with JSP 1.2 and what syntax is used in EL if you are taking
this route.

--- I only know EL syntax for JSP 2.0 (Tomcat 5.5.x) , I don't know if
the EL syntax is different for lower versions of JSP 1.2 etc.

-Rashmi