On 8/6/07, T. Lamine Ba <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I use <parseDate> in webapp "www.buildtrees.com" as follows:
>
> ***
>         <fmt:parseDate var="birthdate" value="${param.birthdate}"
> pattern="MMM-dd-yyyy" />
> ***
>
> It works great when I visit the site with my computers.  On the other
> hand, some of my web visitors produce the error below:
>
> ***
> Exception: javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: In <parseDate>, value
> attribute can not be parsed: "OCT-02-2002"
>
> Error message: In <parseDate>, value attribute can not be parsed:
> "OCT-02-2002"
> ***
>
> I suspect the problem is browser related.  Does anyone has a solution
> for this?  I searched the internet, but I could not find anything that
> could help, primarily because I have not been able to reproduce the
> error with my computers.  I had to wait for a web surfer with the "wrong
> configuration" to access the site.

Browser-based locale setting could certainly cause this to fail. If
you want to force the app to always use English, you should probably
include the following in web.xml:

<context-param>
  <param-name>javax.servlet.jsp.jstl.fmt.locale</param-name>
  <param-value>en_US</param-value>
</context-param>

If you just want to change that specific tag, try the parseLocale attribute:

<fmt:parseDate var="birthdate"
                       value="${param.birthdate}"
                       pattern="MMM-dd-yyyy"
                       parseLocale="en_US"/>