Generally agreed. With public APIs I've learnt to be stronger on
making things private as it tends to only come back to bite you if you
try to over think it; and when it's public you have no ability to
identify all the use cases so you end up in legacy hell.

I just fix the bugs though - I wasn't an original developer :) I
suspect their focus was strongly on implementing the spec and less on
the implementation classes themselves.

Hen