Hassan,

If I create a url with a context relative path (e.g. /x/y/z) and the I use
this in the url attribute of an import tag, the import tag seems to attempt
a lookup of a file in the web application.

So given this...

<c:url var="aURL" value="/x/y/z"/>
${aURL} Get resource at z
<c:import url="${aURL}" var="xml" />

The link in href attribute in the browser is a valid url, but the url
attribute in the import tag is not. I get a file not found exception for
/x/y/z. Import seems to want to lookup a static resource (html page for
example) located on the file system and not open connection to some network
resource. I am assuming from the name (import) that this is probably what is
expected. Doesn't help me though.

If I set the value in the URL to /x/y/z.html (assuming that resource exists)
all is well. So the question is can I 'import' dynamic content (from a
servlet in my case) rather than a static resource?

I guess I could point my URL to a JSP that 'includes' the content I want,
assuming that include works properly. I still think I am missing something.

Cheers,
Paul B.