Hi,

This thread on or-talk made me discover a way that might be interesting to
implement to actually wipe encrypted disks key material.

When you luksClose a disk/volume, it's key material is forgotten by the
kernel, but still in memory (if I understood how it works). But it seems
that in the kernel the code to wipe a key material is already there, and
used by cryptsetup with the luksSuspend command (used whe suspending a
machine).

I'm no kexec expert, what I understood was loading a kernel this way
overwrite the previous kernel ram space, but I'm actually not sure (well,
I doubt) that a remainig unused key material would be overwritten. That
would require some tests I guess, or explanation of the kexec process
which I'm not sure to understand completely.

Still, if the kexec method don't help in wiping key material, I suppose
writing a very simple wrapper to cryptsetup that use luksSuspend then
luskClose when cryptsetup is called to luksClose an encrypted disk might
be an excellent way to wipe remaining key materials.

Any opinions?

bert.