15.07.2011 23:19, intrigeri пишет:

> I'm in the process of reviewing and testing the work you did this
> week. Since there is still no new tag in the Git repository, and no
> mention of a particular commit we should look at, I'm testing the
> current state of the Git repo (commit 8c6f2609c).

I've sent private email with subj "please test 0.0.3~6.gbpa1b424" on 12.07 but
recent
repo is definitely better.

> lintian overrides: I still think you should merge my lintian branch
> and revert the broken half-merge that was done, as well as the dirty
> workaround you put in when you saw the half-merge was breaking stuff.

I've added it to timeline.

> Translation: please remove the attempt at a French translation; it'll
> be easy to find someone to do a proper translation once strings have
> settled. Having wrong translations prevent the .po file from showing
> up as needing work.

To be honest I think 'original' English text require revision as well and I
prefer to
have more than one translation for the sake of testing so I'll add FIXME to
translations.

> However, the sorting is wrong since some languages have their name
> capitalized, while others haven't. This is very disturbing...

I completely agree. I'm looking into ubiquity code right now - it seems to be
the
closest thing to what we want.

> Also, the UI has a note that reads "the selection cannot be changed
> once you press the button"; while this seems to be technically correct
> (according to the debug log, selecting a language for the second time
> triggers actions relative to the first chosen language), it's very
> confusing UI-wise to read this, while being able to choose a language
> once again, despite what the message says. If tails-greeter does not
> support choosing the language a second time (which I suggested
> initially to ease your task), great, but the UI must reflect it.

I don't get it completely - probably smth wrong with my English.

a) Does UI behave the way it should right now? If not - what's the expected
difference?
b) Does explanation text misleading? If yes - which one you'd like to see
instead?

> It would be great if the interface between this script and
> tails-greeter was documented on the wiki:
> https://tails.boum.org/todo/TailsGreeter/#index4h2

I've added it (with small cleanup) but it's preliminary anyway: we got to
figure out
what do we do about non-utf8 encodings so this might be changed even in near
future.

> I see you've done it since you sent your report, but I could not see
> it working. Maybe the .pot/.po files must be updated to check it's
> actually working? How do I update the .pot/.po files if I don't want
> to wait for you to do it everytime?

This is definitely wrong: all necessary files should be in git already and it
works
for me (that's why I've marked it as 'done' :)
We should investigate why it fails for you.

>> - cleanup commented\old\dead code - DONE.
>
> Great (well, you did it the week before actually, but why not).

Yepp, I've marked it as done last week as far as I recall.

> Anyway, installing the ttf-unifont package fixes this issue for me.
> The glyphs are not that nice, but at least they are readable and
> usable I believe. You probably should add this package as a dependency
> of tails-greeter (debian/control).

Awesome, I'll test it and push tonight.

> The list of languages spoken by human being is fairly long indeed, he
> he. If the list appears too long, maybe the widget (that only uses a
> small fraction of the available screen estate) is suboptimal.
>
> I'd be sad removing languages from the list just to make it appear
> shorter, and I'd rather not have to decide what language is "exotic"
> and what other is not.
>
> I suggest you let the current list alone and start a dedicated
> discussion thread about this on tails-dev, providing a summary of all
> information and numbers that are relevant to the discussion, since I
> don't feel like deciding alone on this matter.

Ok, I'll send separate email some time next week when I better understand
things like
'variants'. And just to make sure I won't forget about it till when: right now
there
is no difference in UI between languages tails-greeter support and languages
which
are supported only by the system. So the user can choose 'chinese', click next
and
still see 'english' on the next widget(s). This is probably wrong as well and
deserve
further discussion.

> If we really end up support less languages, we need to list the ones
> we want to support, instead of the ones we don't want to. E.g. we
> could use the list of iceweasel l10n packs in Debian (apt-cache search
> 'iceweasel-l10n-*' | wc -l => 79 results).

Valid option too.

> I'm sure it can be cleared by looking at the gdm-simple-greeter code.

Looking into it too.

> On this topic, the main resource I suggested was gdm-simple-greeter.
> Even if you don't reuse code, these existing pieces of software will
> at least show you how this issue is generally dealt with, i.e. what
> users may expect (principle of least surprise).

The easier way probably is to dive into ubiquity. Although I'm still not sure
how
long will it take.

https://code.launchpad.net/~doctormo/gdm-commmunity-greeter/tails-merge

> Do you mean "the xklavier API is unclear" or "I have not looked at the
> xklavier API yet"? I'm not sure such an id exists at all.

It exist but it is not in the python scripts in 'sample' directory which I've
looked at.
So it's "unclear yet" but will be clear soon :)

> Pressing the Enter key in the password prompt does not move forward.
> It should.

Added to timeline.

> Naming widgets "combobox1" makes it a pain to maintain the code later
> on. Please name widgets in a more explicit way.

Will push update tonight.

> See you tomorrow on IRC, cheers,

see you soon,
Max.