On 05/13/2014 03:58 PM, Rémi wrote:
> Going over your points:
>
> - Yes, I should select some other slow hash function. Do you have a
> suggestion for a secure function available in python?
Currently, Python doesn't come with those kind of function.

> - It is less random. That is why it is popped.
Then you should update the comment :)

> - It really doesn't matter if some names have a tiny bit lower
> probability of getting selected. Much more useful would be to add more
> names.
>
> - Now you're just trolling. The username suffix is indeed not random,
> but derived like the rest of the credentials.
Then it shouldn't be described as random :)

> - Yes, in python you do not have control over memory like you have in C.
This is why those kind of tools should not be written in Python:
- You don't have control over memory
- You can't guarantee that your code can run in constant time.

> Maybe the comments should have been formulated to look less scary? As I
> pointed out in the code, I indeed need another slow hash function. I'm
> on it.
Yes. Sorry for the harsh tone :|

The idea of deriving passwords from a master is not knew.
What about using something like HMAC for this ?