Hi,

Arnaud:
> just pondering and wondering on the preferred way (if any) to experiment
> and modify the Tails OS. I'd be happy to have Tails running in a VM and
> WRITABLE, so that I can really play with it. This is really for
> experimenting purpose.

AFAIK, modifying the rootfs in a persistent manner will produce very
weird results next time you boot, and then you won't be able to draw
any serious conclusion from your experiments.

I personally combine two approaches, depending on the need:

 * build a modified ISO image
 * start Tails and modify files in there (it *is* writable, but of
   course the modifications go to a ramdisk)

Cheers !
--
intrigeri