Hi!

sajolida:
> u:
>> Upon a technical remark, I moved the pre-commit file to
>> bin/pre-commit-translation instead. See updated instructions below.
>>
>>     git fetch tails translation_platform_hooks
>>     git submodule update --init
>>     cd .git/hooks
>>     ln -s ../../bin/pre-commit-translation pre-commit
>
> Doing only `git fetch` doesn't change my checkout and nor creates
> ../../bin/pre-commit-translation locally.

Indeed!

> So instead I did:
>
>       git checkout -t origin/translation_platform_hooks
>       git submodule update --init
>       cd .git/hooks
>       ln -s ../../bin/pre-commit-translation pre-commit

Thanks for the updated version of the instructions.

> Then I did a dummy change to index.es.po and tried to commit it.
>
> I got the following:
>
>       Project-Id-Version header is not empty for following files:
>       wiki/src/index.es.po
>
>       The po files you're trying to commit contain errors. Please fix them
> and try again.
>
> Which make me believe that you didn't run your new PO file validator on all
> the current PO files.

Absolutely, as said in my email, we did not do that yet and we'll do it
once people have tested it and we are ready to merge. At least that was
the initial plan.

> If you're adding validity checks to our current PO files it would be nice to
> also make them comply
> with them, otherwise:
>
> - Translators (and mergers) will have to fix them one by one

So, would you suggest we do that on master right now? Or should we
instead wait for more comments before making such a modification?

> - Ikiwiki on the production server might not be able to do the automatic
> "Update PO files"

ikiwiki on the production server is currently not impacted by this hook
and we are aware that we will have to fix this, but it'll happen at a
later stage.

> I'm also curious about what `git submodule update --init` does. Are you using
> submodules for that?
> I'm asking out of curiosity because I don't know much about submodules but I
> couldn't find spot what
> is specific to your work under .git/modules/submodules.

check_po.sh lives in a submodule and we have updated this script in a
branch of the same name. So people need to update - at least in case
they've never checked out the repository. I'm not 100% sure it's needed
in the case you have checked out the submodules, but I've put it in the
instructions to be sure.

Cheers!
u.