David A. Wheeler:
I've created a proposal to briefly describe how to use
additional software within Tails. It includes some information on how to use
curl:
https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/tails/-/merge_requests/1044

Thanks! I'll have a look.

I had in mind investigative journalists & similar researchers with a *modest*
technical background.
More generally, people who gather data (and sometimes send it) from the
Internet,
especially those who can write simple scripts to do that.

Right, I have the same people in mind and already met several of them.

I wanted to try adding curl by default to see the impact on the image size but ... it seems to be installed already:

https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/tails/-/commit/8aa013f3b549d90609fb2a4dd7e2bd14e3439151

Maybe I missed something!

That said, it doesn't work out of the box:

amnesia@amnesia:~$ curl https://tails.boum.org/
curl: (7) Failed to connect to 127.0.0.1 port 9050: Connection refused

I created #19488 to fix this.

I'm even more convinced that we should fix that :)

@david: Do you want to give it a try?

@boyska: Any concern about that since curl is already installed?

--
sajolida